Article 5 - Other Provisions
5.1 - Decoration
- 5.1.1 - The Concession Holder must obtain written authorization from Cemetery management before installing any decoration or enclosure, or initiating any work of a decorative nature on a Burial Site. Written authorization from Cemetery management is also required for any and all decoration or work on a Temporary Grave. It is forbidden to place any kind of enclosure on a Temporary Grave.
- 5.1.2 - It is forbidden to place a bench or similar article anywhere in the Cemetery except on a roadside Plot.
- 5.1.3 - It is forbidden to place artificial flowers on a Plot, Burial Space or Temporary Grave. Only wreaths or saddles of artificial flowers may be placed on gravestones.
- 5.1.4 - It is forbidden to remove grass from a Plot, Burial Space or Temporary Grave unless it is to be replaced immediately.
- 5.1.5 - It is forbidden to assign any maintenance work on a Plot, Burial Space or Temporary Grave to a contractor or subcontractor. Only the Concession Holder or Fabrique attendants may perform this work.
- 5.1.6 - The size of any floral arrangement planted on a Plot shall not exceed the width of the base of the authorized gravestone nor shall it exceed 24 inches in diameter unless said Plot is larger than 90 square feet, in which case the radius shall not exceed 32 inches.
- 5.1.7 - It is forbidden to plant flowers or other plants in the Sainte-Vierge section, which serves only as a repository for cinerary urns. Cemetery management reserves the right to prohibit floral arrangements in any other section of the Cemetery.
- 5.1.8 - The Fabrique shall not be held responsible for any material loss resulting from damage, vandalism or theft to flowers, plants, shrubs, objects or any other decoration placed on a Plot, Burial Space, Temporary Grave or Concession.
- 5.1.9 - Cemetery management may remove or have removed any object or decoration that does not conform to the regulations in effect, or that does not respect the specific character of the grounds, or that interferes with the maintenance or design of the Cemetery, or that is disrespectful of the Roman Catholic faith. The Fabrique shall not be held responsible for any material loss resulting from the removal of hazards, or non-authorized or improper objects.
5.2 - Gravestones, Monuments and Other Grave Markers
- 5.2.1 - The Concession Holder must obtain written authorization from Cemetery management and have remitted payment for the Concession and other fees before erecting, restoring or making any modifications to a gravestone, monument or any other grave marker.
- 5.2.2 - The Concession Holder may place only one gravestone, monument or grave marker on a Plot. Said gravestone, monument or grave marker must have a concrete foundation. The Concession Holder is assuming the costs of the foundation
- 5.2.3 - The Concession Holder must obtain written authorization from Cemetery management before engraving a gravestone, monument or grave marker.
- 5.2.4 - Before any gravestone, monument or grave marker used to identify a Plot or Burial Space is erected or installed, it must display the number corresponding to the Plot or Burial Space for which it is intended. The numeration is done by the Cemetery.
- 5.2.5 - A vertical or horizontal stone grave marker must be no wider than fourteen (14) inches and must be mounted on a granite base at least six (6) inches high and placed beside the existing monument.
- 5.2.6 - Cemetery management may remove or have removed from a gravestone, monument or grave marker any inscription or object that does not conform to the regulations currently in effect. The Fabrique shall not be held responsible for any material loss resulting from the removal.
- 5.2.7 - The Concession Holder must obtain written authorization from Cemetery management to move a gravestone, monument or grave marker.
- 5.2.8 - The Concession Holder is responsible for the maintenance of his or her gravestone, monument or grave marker since he is the owner. Upon ten (10) days’ prior notice sent to the Concession Holder at his or her last known address, Cemetery management may remove or have removed, at the Concession Holder’s expense, any gravestone, monument or grave marker that it deems hazardous to public safety or that does not conform to the regulations currently in effect. The Fabrique shall not be held responsible for any material loss resulting from the removal.
- 5.2.9 - The Concession Holder must obtain written authorization and approval for any and all plans from Cemetery management before constructing or erecting any arch, vault or other grave marker.
- 5.2.10 - The opening of a vault shall be the sole responsibility of an Authorized Representative of the Cemetery.
5.3 - Mausoleum and Columbarium
- 5.3.1 - Only one flower vase per Crypt is permitted. A bronze vase may be affixed to the plaque on the face of the Crypt.
- 5.3.2 - Only one bouquet of natural flowers laid out in a vase supplied by the Management of the Cemetery is permitted at the foot of a Crypt or Niche
Easter - Mother’s Day - Father’s Day - All Saints’ Day - Christmas
These natural flowers are permitted fifteen (15) days before and no more than seven (7) days after the holiday. The Cemetery caretakers will remove all flowers and vases after such time limit.
This clause does not apply to Ste-Marguerite d’Youville Mausoleum where flowers are at all times prohibited on the floor.
- 5.3.3 - It is forbidden to affix or hang any object whatsoever (picture, drawing, etc.) on the façade of a crypt or Niche. The Cemetery caretakers will remove any object non compliant with regulation.
- 5.3.4 - It is forbidden to place any kind of lamp, candle or lantern at the foot of a Crypt or Niche, except in the Chapels of Ste-Thérèse, Notre-Dame, St-François, St-Antoine, de la Paix and de l’Amitié as well as in the Mausoleum of Jean-Paul II. In the aforementioned exceptions, the Concession Holder shall use only the stands provided in the designated locations of the chapels and mausoleum.
- 5.3.5 - The opening of a Crypt or Niche shall be performed by an Authorized Representative of the Cemetery.
5.4 - Disinterment
- 5.4.1 - Any person who submits a request to Cemetery management and la Chancellerie of the Montreal Diocese for disinterment must include all requisite authorizations as stipulated in the Burial Act (L.R.Q., c.I-11).
- 5.4.2 - The Concession Holder must obtain written authorization from Cemetery management to remove an urn containing the remains of the deceased from a Burial Site.
5.5 - Cemetery Access
- 5.5.1 - The Fabrique reserves the right to refuse any person or group admission, entry or access to the Cemetery.
- 5.5.2 - During a burial, an Authorized Representative of the Cemetery may restrict access to some of its facilities because of their particular character.
- 5.5.3 - An Authorized Representative of the Cemetery may restrict access to some sections of the Cemetery in winter because of snow conditions or at any time if said restriction is deemed necessary or useful to the management of the Cemetery. Access may be prohibited to a Burial Site during the digging of a grave, a disinterment or any work being performed on said Burial Site.
- 5.5.4 - Any and all individuals or media representatives must obtain written authorization from Cemetery management before filming or photographing in the Cemetery, or conducting any kind of interview.
- 5.5.5 - Visitors travelling through the Cemetery by car must use only the main and secondary paved roads. It is forbidden for any person to use the Cemetery as an amusement park or recreational area.
- 5.5.6 - Any and all young children (10 years and less) must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- 5.5.7 - It is forbidden to bring any animal into the Cemetery.
- 5.5.8 - At all times, any hearse, carriage or other vehicle in the Cemetery must be driven by a responsible person. The maximum speed permitted on Cemetery grounds is 30 km/h.
- 5.5.9 - Any and all drivers must drive carefully, obey all traffic laws and ensure that their vehicle in no way blocks or obstructs a road or path at any time.
- 5.5.10 - Visiting hours are posted at all Cemetery entrances.
- 5.5.11 - It is forbidden for visitors to use skis, snowshoes, snowmobiles, sleighs, skateboards, roller blade skates, bicycles, motorcycles or any such equipment or vehicle in the Cemetery.
5.6 - Change of Address - The Concession Holder must notify Cemetery management in writing of any change of address.
5.7 - Assignment or Transfer - The Concession Holder must obtain written authorization from Cemetery management to assign or transfer his or her Concession. Registration fees are set by the Fabrique and are payable upon any assignment or transfer.
5.8 - Cemetery Management Authorization - If it is proven that a required authorization from Cemetery management was obtained through misrepresentation, said authorization may be revoked and considered null and void.
5.9 - Discretion - The discretion granted by these regulations may be exercised by Cemetery management when and as it sees fit, in the best interests of the Fabrique.
5.10 - Amendment - These regulations may be amended from time to time by the Fabrique. The Concession Holder must abide by any and all current or amended regulations.
5.11 - Commencement - The present regulations are in effect as at the date of approval by the Bishop of the Diocese